Public Health Careers
Working in public health is about helping people to stay healthy and protecting them from threats to their health. There are all sorts of roles and career opportunities within public health, from entry roles, right up to the most senior level.
Some areas within public health concentrate mostly on promoting healthy lifestyles such as:
- reducing harmful smoking
- reducing obesity and improving diet
- reducing harmful drinking
Other areas focus more on protecting people’s health such as:
- promoting and administering vaccinations
- tackling the health effects of climate change in the UK
- reducing anti-microbial resistance
- improving mental health and tackling dementia
Whichever area of public health you choose to work in, you'll be making a difference to people's health and wellbeing in some way.
What roles are available?
- health visitors, school nurses and other public health nurses
- environmental health professionals
- knowledge and intelligence professionals
- managers, directors, consultants and specialists
All these roles can be found in a range of organisations, including national government, local government, higher education, the NHS, the armed forces, and the third sector.
You can download the latest Public Health Careers brochure from the weblink below: